There is no doubt that snowboarding is an expensive hobby. But what makes it so pricey? Why do we have to shell out so much cash just to strap on a board and slide down a mountain?
In this post, we’ll take a look at why snowboarding is so expensive and see if there are ways to bring down the cost.
Why is snowboarding so expensive?
There are a few reasons why snowboarding is more expensive than other sports.
- First, the equipment is costly. A good snowboard can cost upwards of $500, and that’s not including bindings, boots, and other gear.
- Second, lift tickets at resorts can be pricey, especially if you plan on going several times during the season. A season pass can cost over $1000.
- And lastly, snowboarding takes place in cold climates, so you’ll likely have to spend money on things like lodging, food, and clothing.
So those are some of the reasons why snowboarding is expensive. But is there anything that can be done to offset the cost?
Yes, there are a few things you can do to save money when snowboarding.
- First, you can buy used gear. There are plenty of sites where you can buy used snowboards, bindings, and boots for a fraction of the retail price.
- Second, you can look for discounts on lift tickets. Some resorts offer deals on lift tickets if you purchase them in advance or buy a season pass.
- And lastly, you can find cheaper lodging and transportation options by staying in a hostel or renting an RV.
So those are some ways to save money when snowboarding. By following these tips, you can enjoy the sport without breaking the bank.
You May Read: Why Are Skateboards So Expensive?
price of equipment – snowboards, boots, bindings and jackets
1) Essential Equipment’s
- High Quality Snowboard
- Snowboard Boots
- Snowboard Helmet
- Ski Gloves
- Snowboard Bindings
- Snowboarding Dress
As you know, the cost of just the equipment for snowboarding can be quite expensive. This is one of the main reasons why snowboarding is more expensive than other sports. Some other things also involve into snowboarding cost, such as:
2) Cost of lift tickets
Another factor that makes snowboarding more expensive is the cost of lift tickets. If you plan on going to a resort several times during the season, the cost of lift tickets can really add up.
3) Cost of lodging and transportation
Snowboarding usually takes place in cold climates, so you’ll likely have to spend money on things like lodging, food, and clothing. This is another factor that contributes to the overall cost of snowboarding.
So those are some of the reasons why snowboarding is more expensive than other sports.
4) Lift tickets
The cost of a lift ticket can vary depending on the resort. For example, a lift ticket at Vail Resort in Colorado can cost over $100 per day. But at smaller resorts, the cost of a lift ticket may be less than $50 per day.
So the cost of lift tickets is one factor that can make snowboarding more expensive than other sports. But there are ways to save money on lift tickets, such as buying them in advance or buying a season pass.
Lessons – taking lessons from professional instructor can be costly but it is often worth it
Taking lessons from a professional instructor can be costly but it is often worth it.
The cost of a private lesson can range from $50 to $100 per hour. But the cost of a group lesson is usually much less, around $20 to $30 per hour.
So the cost of lessons is another factor that can make snowboarding more expensive than other sports. But lessons can be a great investment, as they can help you learn the proper technique and avoid injuries.
Travel expenses – traveling to a ski resort can be expensive, especially if you’re flying.
Traveling to a ski resort can be expensive, especially if you’re flying. For example, a round-trip flight from New York City to Denver can cost over $400. And that’s not including the cost of lodging, food, and transportation at the resort.
So travel expenses are another factor that can make snowboarding more expensive than other sports. But there are ways to save money on travel, such as flying to a nearby airport or driving to the resort.
Lodging and food costs – staying in a ski town can be pricey and same goes for food.
Staying in a ski town can be pricey and the same goes for food. For example, a meal at a restaurant in Aspen can cost over $30. And a hotel room in Breckenridge can cost over $200 per night.
So lodging and food costs are other factors that can make snowboarding more expensive than other sports. But there are ways to save money on lodging and food such as staying in a hostel or cooking your own meals.
FAQs – snowboarding expensive
why are snowboard goggles so expensive?
There are several reasons why snowboard goggles can be expensive.
- First, they need to be highly durable to withstand the rigors of the sport.
- Second, they need to provide excellent visibility in all conditions.
- Third, they need to be comfortable to wear for long periods.
- Fourth, they need to be stylish enough that people will want to wear them.
All of these factors add up to make snowboard goggles a fairly expensive item. However, they are an essential piece of gear for anyone who wants to enjoy the sport to the fullest.
Why is snowboarding so much harder than skiing?
There are a few reasons why snowboarding is often considered more difficult than skiing.
- First, it takes longer to learn how to ride a snowboard than it does to ski.
- Second, skiing uses two edges (the left and right edges of the skis), while snowboarding uses one edge (the left or right edge of the board). This makes it harder to turn and stops.
- Third, skiing is a more natural motion because we walk and run forward, while snowboarding is a less natural motion because we must side-step up the hill.
- Fourth, there are more obstacles (such as trees and rocks) in snowboarding than in skiing.
- Finally, skiing is more popular than snowboarding, so there are more ski resorts and more ski instructors.
How much does it cost to make a snowboard?
The cost of making a snowboard can vary depending on the materials used and the manufacturing process.
For example, a high-end carbon fiber snowboard can cost over $1000 to manufacture. But a lower-end wood core snowboard may only cost around $200 to manufacture.
Are snowboards cheaper in the summer?
No, snowboards are not cheaper in the summer. In fact, they are usually more expensive in the summer because demand is higher.
Snowboards are typically cheaper in the fall and winter when demand is lower.
How do you save money on a snowboard?
There are a few ways to save money on a snowboard.
- You can buy a used snowboard.
- You can buy a lower-end model.
- Buy a snowboard in the sale.
- Buy a package deal that includes a snowboard and bindings.
- You can rent a snowboard instead of buying one.
- Finally, you can join a snowboard club or team to get discounts on equipment and lift tickets.
Is longer snowboard better for beginners?
No, a longer snowboard is not necessarily better for beginners. In fact, a shorter snowboard may be easier to control for beginners.
Beginners should choose a snowboard that is the appropriate size for their height and weight.
Snowboarding is expensive because it is a luxury item. It takes a lot of time and money to maintain the necessary equipment, travels to ski resorts, and learn how to snowboard properly.
Although the cost may be prohibitive for some people, those who do invest in snowboarding will enjoy a lifetime of winter sports fun.
About The Author
I am a professional snowboarder who has been certified in CPR/AED and First Aid. I love to write about my experiences.
I have been snowboarding for over 15 years now and I have had the privilege of traveling all around the world to compete in some of the biggest events.
One of my favorite things to do is share my knowledge and experience with others who are looking to improve their skills.