There is a lot of debate over whether or not it is possible to put longboard wheels on a skateboard. Some people say it ruins the skateboard, while others say it makes it much better. So, which is it?
There is a common misconception that longboard wheels cannot be put on a skateboard. This is simply not true! Longboard wheels are actually quite versatile and can be put on a skateboard by following just a few simple steps. .
In this blog post, we will outline the process for putting longboard wheels on a skateboard so that you can enjoy the benefits of both types of boards.
What are longboard wheels and how do they differ from skateboard wheels?
Longboard wheels are larger in diameter than skateboard wheels and have a softer durometer or hardness. This makes them ideal for cruising and carving, but not so great for tricks or street skating.
The large size of longboard wheels also gives them a higher top speed. So, if you are looking to cruise around town or take your skating to the next level, longboard wheels are a great option.
Can You Put Longboard Wheels On Skateboard?
The short answer is yes, you can put longboard wheels on a skateboard. However, there are a few things to keep in mind before doing so.
- First, the width of your skateboard deck will need to be at least 8.25 inches. This is because longboard wheels are typically wider than standard skateboard wheels and will not fit on a deck that is any smaller.
- Secondly, you will need to make sure that your trucks are compatible with longboard wheels. Most standard skateboard trucks will not be able to accommodate the larger size of longboard wheels, so you may need to purchase new trucks or find a truck that is specifically designed for longboard wheels.
- Finally, you will need to slightly adjust your riding style when using longboard wheels on a skateboard. Longboard wheels are designed for stability and cruising, so you may find that your skateboard is more difficult to maneuver and perform tricks with.
However, once you get used to the different feel of your skateboard, you’ll be able to enjoy the best of both worlds!
How to Put Longboard Wheels on Skateboard? (Step By Step)
Now that you know a little bit about longboard wheels, let’s get into how to put them on your skateboard.
- The first step is to remove the existing wheels from your skateboard. To do this, simply unscrew the axle nuts with a skate tool or a wrench.
- Next, remove the bearings from the wheels by gently popping them out with your fingers. Once the bearings are out, the wheels should easily come off of the axles.
- With the old wheels off, it’s time to put on the new longboard wheels. Start by putting the bearings into the new wheels.
- Once the bearings are in place, screw on the axle nuts to secure the wheels. Be sure to tighten the axle nuts until they are snug but not too tight.
And that’s it! You’ve successfully put longboard wheels on your skateboard.
What are the benefits of using longboard wheels on a skateboard?
There are several benefits to using longboard wheels on a skateboard.
- First, they provide a smoother ride thanks to their larger size and softer durometer. This makes them ideal for cruising around town or carving down hills.
- Second, longboard wheels have a higher top speed than skateboard wheels, so you can get where you’re going faster.
- And lastly, longboard wheels are less likely to flat spot than skateboard wheels, so you can enjoy a smoother ride for longer.
So, if you’re looking for a smoother ride and a higher top speed, put some longboard wheels on your skateboard.
FAQs- Putting Longboard Wheels On Skateboard
Can you ollie with longboard wheels?
No, longboard wheels are not designed for tricks like ollies. However, they are great for cruising and carving.
Do longboard wheels wear out faster than skateboard wheels?
No, longboard wheels actually last longer than skateboard wheels because they are less likely to flat spot.
What is the best durometer for longboard wheels?
The best durometer for longboard wheels is around 78A. This provides a balance between speed and grip.
Do longboard wheels come in different sizes?
Yes, longboard wheels come in a variety of sizes to suit your riding style. The most common sizes are 65mm, 70mm, and 75mm.
So, can you put longboard wheels on a skateboard? Technically, the answer is yes. However, doing so will change the way your skateboard rides and handles.
If you’re looking to add some extra speed and stability to your ride, swapping out your standard skateboard wheels for longboard wheels may be the perfect solution. Just keep in mind that it takes a little bit of practice to get used to riding with larger wheels – but once you do, you’ll never go back!